Schizophrenia is a mental disorder in which the normal functioning of the brain is affected. Our brain is what helps us think, helps us feel and helps us understand the world around us. It helps us to be logical and to deal rationally with situations and people around us. Schizophrenia affects this very ability of the brain to think, feel and understand and as a result, the person affected starts to live in a reality very different from that of others.
People suffering from schizophrenia are not able to think rationally or coherently; they start becoming incapable of interacting with others normally and cannot carry out even simple responsibilities. Simple, every day tasks like bathing or shaving become difficult to do and as a result are neglected. Very soon, this disorder starts to affect the person’s family life, social life and work life. Family members also become very distressed when they see the changes in their loved one and at times can become very overwhelmed at the thought of having to care and deal with a person suffering from schizophrenia.
However, there are still plenty of ways in which you can help a family member deal with and slowly defeat the disorder. The idea is to have more and more positive thoughts keeping out all the negative thoughts.
- Do not ever stop taking your medication. Many a times, you may tire of taking all the drugs and wonder if you should stop the medication and try other alternative means. You should certainly explore other means of finding relief but till your mental health expert recommends it, you should never stop taking your medication. Chances are you may let yourself in for a relapse.
- Avoid as many stressful activities as you can. If you know that some activity is going to stress you out or is going to make you restless, you should try and avoid doing it. Even if this means giving up on a hot job or a promotion.
- Pay attention to your relationships first. Having the love and support of your family will go a long way in making you feel good about yourself and you will emit positive vibes as you think about all the important people in your life. Ensure that you take all the steps necessary so that you start to interact with people more easily.
- Stay calm and get involved in only those activities that will help you stay calm. Even though at times, things can seem so tough that you are willing to try anything, even drugs to give you some relief, remember that you can be taken on a very uncertain and dangerous path. Remind yourself of what you stand to lose if you do not stand and fight.
- Do all you can to stay physically fit and healthy. Give up all harmful habits such as eating junk food or smoking. Limit your alcohol intake and try to workout regularly. Turns out physical exercise can go a long way in ensuring that your mind stays healthy too.