Grooming Your Ferrets
Ferrets make great pets; these cute animals are active during the dawn and dusk. Unlike other house pets, ferrets tend to sleep more, but whenever they are awake, they can be very frisky. When awake, these animals like to spending their time outside there cage at times making themselves dirty. Your Ferrets grooming plays an important role in keeping your pet clean.
Listed below are some of the tips that will help you keeping the pet clean and well groomed:
* Brushing the coat of your ferret will help maintain the shine and improve the overall blood circulation. Brushing can be useful when the ferrets are shedding of their old fur.
* Brushing will also help avoid the formation of the hairballs and reduce the hair loss. Ferrets grooming can be an easy task if it is followed regularly.
* You can use the short bristle soft brush that is used for the kittens and the cats.
* The Ferrets grooming schedule also includes cleaning their ears, just the way the humans clean theirs. This will keep the ears clean and eliminate the risk of any infections.
* Normal color of the ear wax is reddish or light brown. Cleaning the ferrets ear regularly will help you notice the change in the texture and amount of wax thus keeping the ferret away from any ear mites and other infections.
* Ear cleaning solutions are easily available in pet stores or you can even purchase this solution from your veterinary doctor.
* However do not be harsh while cleaning the ears . You can just add a few drops of this ear cleaning solution and lightly massage the ear to be cleaned for some time. You can now the ear using a cotton swab.
* Be careful while cleaning the ear as too much force can hurt the ferrets’ ear. Also too much force may push down the wax back into the ferrets ear canal.
* Brushing your ferrets teeth may not be an easy task of your ferrets grooming routine. Brushing the ferrets teeth will eliminate the risk of any dental infections and will also help you spot any if they exist.
* Short bristled toothbrushes are the ideal ones to use for brushing your ferrets teeth. Putting a drop of your pets favorite gel or liquid over the bristles will lessen your efforts.
* Avoid using tooth paste that is used by the humans.
* Brush your ferrets teeth gradually i.e. proceed from the outer surface towards the inner surface of the teeth.
* Be patient while brushing the teeth as if the ferret is squirmy your action might hurt the ferret.
* Another important aspect of your ferrets grooming is cutting its nails. You can cut your ferrets nails by using the nail clippers that are small in size. One can also use the small nail cutters that are used by the humans.
* Cutting the nails at the right position is very important. However, the right spot to cut the nail is at the sharp tip.
* Be careful while cutting the nails as cutting them too deeply might injure the nerve endings and the blood vessels that are located on the inner part of the nails.
These tips if done carefully will keep your per clean and away from any kind of infections.