As online games become more and more popular, you constantly hear sports lovers complaining about how online games have started affecting real sports. They believe that instead of watching live action either in the stadiums or on TV, many are just clued to their computer screens playing fantasy sports games. While it is certainly true that online games are proving to be very popular – they are growing at a phenomenal rate of twenty percent every year – it is not true that they are not contributing at all to the growth of real sports.
- Quite contrary to what many sports lovers believe, online games can contribute quite a bit to the popularity of real sports. Online games make it possible for people in different countries to play a sport that is actually not being played in their country or which is not very popular. How else can a child in the United States know about cricket and a child in China know about baseball. In fact, while playing online, people come to know about a wide variety of sports increasing their knowledge about different sports, before they actually choose one of their interest.
- Many online games involve the player in role-playing games in which the player has to act as the character he or she is assigned with. This provides the player with many interactive opportunities and can prove to be not only exciting but also very instructive. Role-playing games force the player to think of strategies and defense and this lets them appreciate the same points in real sports.
- Online fantasy sports games have their own leagues now, such as the fantasy baseball league and fantasy soccer league, which have become extremely popular. As these fantasy games gain popularity so have the real sports.
- Most online gaming sites come with proper instructions and help for those who want to understand and enjoy the gaming experience better. These instructions explain in great detail how the games are played, display real life experiences of actual players and how scores are kept. This not only helps the player understand and appreciate the nuances of the game but also helps them to take a keener interest in real sports.
- Recent statistics have shown that some segments of the population that had never shown a very keen interest in real sports have started playing them in great numbers online. For example, a growing number of stay-at-home-moms have their own fantasy soccer teams and are playing in many other fantasy sports leagues. Naturally, this interest is spilling over to real sports as well.
- Online gaming websites have put forth a lot of effort and used many interactive, innovative methods to increase the popularity of not just their games but the sport as well. You will find neatly illustrated rulebooks online that are regularly updated. You can find team profiles and player profiles that are constantly updated. In fact, one of the best places to find information about your favorite team or player is one of these online gaming sites.