Implants To Stop Hearing Loss
Hearing is one of the vital senses out of our five senses. Inability to hear the sounds and the noises around us is known as deafness.
While the rapid development in modern science has provided us with various opportunities like surgeries and implants to stop hearing loss, cochlear implants are the most common implants carried out nowadays. An electronic device enables the deaf people to hear.
It consists of two parts: One that is to be worn continuously and the other that is implanted by the surgeon. A cochlear implant is an implant to stop hearing loss but does not provide normal hearing. There are limitations on the hearing power. However, the person who has under gone this implant is able to hear the person talking to him if there is no background sound.
Some of features and instructions before and after surgery or the implant are as follows:
* People who benefited from cochlear implants are those who have learned to speak before they became deaf. This is because these people remember the sounds of the speech. The children who become deaf before they learn to talk or those who are born deaf also are benefited by this implant. However, their progress is slow.
* The minimum age to undergo implants to stop hearing loss is 12 months. A child who is born deaf should undergo this implant as early as possible. It should be done before the completion of four years of the children’s age. In a case, when it is too late the individual may reject the implant since he/she might not be able to develop the ability to hear the sounds of speech.
* The chances of success increase if the implant is done at the early stage. The success also depends on some personal factors determination. This implant to stop hearing loss is surgically inserted, when the patient is under general anesthesia and this procedure takes minimum three hours to a maximum six hours. The patient is required to stay in the hospital for maximum two nights. A surgeon makes an incision behind the ear and exposes the round window. The device is planted inside the head but outside the skull. The device is visible from outside. During the surgery, the brain is not disturbed at all.
* The risk in the implants to stop hearing loss includes:
* loss of taste
* ringing in ears,
* after some years the device may stop working and may require a replant
* The patient may not be able to hear immediately after the surgery. However, the device is quite effective and gives good results in most procedures. It takes about two to five weeks to get the sensation of hearing.
The decision of which ear to be implanted is also important. This decision should be left to the surgeons. The decision depends upon various factors like comparison of the length of both the ears, history of balance system, individual preferences and so on. However, most people nowadays prefer to get an implant for both the ears.
The sound that is heard after surgery is very close to what they used to hear before they went deaf. Listening to music or talking on phone everything becomes possible after we undergo the surgery; this surgery is indeed a boon to humanity. Cochlear implants surgery is one of the best and most successful implants to stop hearing loss.